Everglades Research and Education Center
Everglades Research and Education Center
Dr. Gregg Nuessly
Professor, Center Director
As Director of the Everglades Research and Education Center, part of the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences with the University of Florida, my role is to support the research, extension and teaching goals of our 15 faculty and nearly 100 support staff working at EREC and at the USDA-ARS Sugar Research Lab at Canal Point. During the next five years, I plan to complete a capital building and facilities enhancement campaign to provide for our current and future programs supporting improvement and sustainability of agricultural production, and conservation of natural resources in the Everglades Agricultural Area. Projects include a new Outdoor Education Pavilion; remodeled and expanded Molecular Breeding and Plant Pathology Laboratories within the Wedgworth Laboratory, extension and remodel of our Sugar Laboratory within our Farm Shop to expand and modernize the Sugar Laboratory, while also providing new laboratory space for our Sweet Corn Breeding Program and an Insect Mass Production Lab to assist with our breeding programs; and finally to build a new 8-bedroom Dormitory to house the ever expanding number of students, interns, and visiting scientists during their studies at EREC.
- Larsen, N., G. Nuessly and R. Cherry. 2016. Efficacy of pyrethroid and neonicotinoid insecticides for Melanotus communis (Gyl.) (Coleoptera: Elateridae) control in Florida sugarcane (Saccharum spp.). J. Appl. Entomol. 140: 517-526.
- Owens, D., G. S. Nuessly, D. R. Seal, and T. A. Colquhoun. 2016. Variable pyrethroid susceptibility among the sweet corn infesting Ulidiidae (Diptera) in Florida and new baseline susceptibilities. J. Econ. Entomol. DOI:10.1093/jee/tow054.
- Wei C., Hincapie M., Larsen N., Nuessly G., Rott P., 2016. First report of Sugarcane yellow leaf virus infecting grain sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) in the United States. Plant Disease. 100(8):1798-1799.
- Owens, D., G. S. Nuessly, R. Beiriger, and N. Larsen. 2016. Cob Flies, Megaselia spp. (Diptera: Phoridae), in Sweet Corn. EDIS. ENY-754. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in1144
- Larsen, N., D. Owens, and G. S. Nuessly 2016. Insecticidal Control of sugarcane aphid, 2015, Arthropod Management Tests DOI: 10.1093/amt/tsw012.
- Owens, D., Larsen, N., and G. S. Nuessly. 2016. Evaluation of Two Insecticide Regimens for Control of Sweet Corn Ear Pests, 2015. Arthropod Management Tests 41 (1): tsw128, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/amt/tsw128.
- Borkhataria, R. R., G. S. Nuessly, E. Pearlstine, and R. H. Cherry. 2012. Effects of blackbirds on stink bug (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae) populations and yield in Florida rice. Florida Entomologist 95(1): 143-149.
- Goyal, G., G. S. Nuessly, D. R. Seal, G. J. Steck, J. L. Capinera & K. J. Boote. 2012. Alternative Plants for development of picture-winged fly pests of maize. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 143: 177-184.
- Scully, B.T., R.T. Nagata, R. H. Cherry, G.S. Nuessly, L.E. Trenholm, K.E. Kenworthy,B.M. Schwartz, and J.B. Unruh. 2012. Registration of 'Ultimate' Zoysiagrass. J. Plant Registrations 6(1): 71-74.
- Scully, B., R.N. Nagata, D.M. Sistrunk, R.H. Cherry, G.S. Nuessly, K.S. Kenworthy, and J. Defrank. 2011. Registration of 'Aloha' seashore paspalum. Journal of Plant Registration 5(1): 22-26.
- Cruz, I., R. Braga da Silva, M.C. Figueiredo, A.M. Penteado-Dias, and G.S. Nuessly. 2011. Survey of ear flies (Diptera: Ulidiidae) in maize (Zea mays L.) and a new record of Euxesta mazorca Steyskal in Brazil. Revista Brasileira de Entomologia 55: 102-108.
- Goyal, G., G.S. Nuessly, D.R. Seal, J.L. Capinera, G.J. Steck, and K.J. Boote. 2011. Distribution of picture-winged flies (Diptera: Ulidiidae) infesting corn in Florida. Florida Entomologist 94: 35-47.
- Sandhu, H.S., G.S. Nuessly, R. Cherry, R.A. Gilbert, and S.E. Webb. 2011. Effects of harvest residue and tillage on Elasmopalpus lignosellus damage to sugarcane. Journal of Economic Entomology 104: 155-163.
- Sandhu, H.S., G.S. Nuessly, R. Cherry, R.A. Gilbert, and S.E. Webb. 2011. Effects of Elasmopalpus lignosellus (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) damage on sugarcane yield. Journal of Economic Entomology 104: 474-483.
- Goyal, G., G.S. Nuessly, G.J. Steck, D.R. Seal, J.L. Capinera, , and K.J. Boote. 2011. Comparative morphology of the immature stages of three species of corn-infesting Ulidiidae. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 104:416-428.
- Sethi, A., H.T. Alborn, H.J. McAuslane, G.S. Nuessly, R.T. Nagata. 2011. Banded cucumber beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in romaine lettuce: understanding latex chemistry. Arthropod-Plant Interactions DOI 10.1007/s11829-011-9168-x (Volume 4).
- Cherry, R., and G. Nuessly. 2010. Establishment of a new stink bug pest, Oebalus insularis (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae), in Florida rice. Florida Entomologist 93: 291-293.
- Cherry, R., and G. Nuessly. 2010. Repellency of the biopesticide, azadirachtin, to wireworms (Coleoptera: Elateridae). Florida Entomologist 93: 52-55.
- Goyal, G., G.S. Nuessly, G.J. Steck, D.R. Seal, J.L. Capinera, and K.J. Boote. 2010. New report of Chaetopsis massyla (Walker) (Diptera: Ulidiidae) as a primary pest of corn in Florida. Florida Entomologist 93: 198-202.
- Nuessly, G.S., M.G. Hentz, R.A. Gilbert. 2010. Susceptibility of stage IV Canal Point (CP) sugarcane clones to yellow sugarcane aphid (Sipha flava (Forbes)) feeding damage. Journal American Society of Sugar Cane Technologists 30: 104-114.
- Sandhu, H.S., G.S. Nuessly, S.E. Webb, R. Cherry, and R.A. Gilbert. 2010. Temperature-dependent development of lesser cornstalk borer, Elasmopalpus lignosellus (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) on sugarcane under laboratory conditions. Environmental Entomology 39: 1012-1020.
- Sandhu, H.S., G.S. Nuessly, S.E. Webb, R. Cherry, and R.A. Gilbert. 2010. Life table studies of Elasmopalpus lignosellus (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) on sugarcane. Environmental Entomology 39: 2025-2032.
- Larsen, N.A., and G.S. Nuessly. 2009. Effectiveness of reduced rates of insecticides for the control of Melanotus communis (Coleoptera: Elateridae) in sugarcane. Florida Entomologist 92: 629-634.
- Sethi, A., H.J. McAuslane, B. Rathinasabapathi, G.S. Nuessly, and R.T. Nagata. 2009. Enzyme induction as a possible mechanism for latex-mediated insect resistance in romaine lettuce. Journal of Chemical Ecology 35: 190-200.
- Nuessly, G.S., R.T. Nagata, J.D. Burd, M.G. Hentz, A.S. Carroll, and S.E. Halbert. 2008. Biology and biotype determination of greenbug, Schizaphis graminum (Hemiptera: Aphididae), on seashore paspalum turfgrass (Paspalum vaginatum). Environmental Entomology 87: 586-591.
- Sethi, A., H.J. McAuslane, H.T. Alborn, R.T. Nagata, and G.S. Nuessly. 2008. Romaine lettuce latex deters feeding of banded cucumber beetle: a vehicle for deployment of biochemical defenses. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 128: 410-420.
- Nuessly, G.S., B.T. Scully, M.G. Hentz, R. Beiriger, M.E. Snook, and N.W. Widstrom. 2007. Resistance to Spodoptera frugiperda J.E. Smith (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) and Euxesta stigmatias Loew (Diptera: Otitidae) in sweet corn derived from exogenous and endogenous genetic systems. Journal of Economic Entomology 100: 1887-1895.
- To see Dr. Nuessly's full publication list, click on the EDIS link.
Nur Asbani, PhD StudentWorking under the direction of Dr. Gregg Nuessly, Bani's research is on the bioecology and pest status of rust mites on sugarcane.