Professor, Soil & Water Science
Specialty: Soil Science
Phosphorus chemistry and transformation in organic soils; Best Management Practices to reduce phosphorus loads in the Everglades Agricultural Area; computer simulation models to predict phosphorus availability to plants as well as in environmental applications.
Active Research Projects
- Implementation and Verification of BMPs To Reduce Everglades Agricultural Area Farm P Loads:Floating Aquatic Vegetation Impact on Farm P Load:
The goal of this research is improved management of floating aquatic vegetation (FAV) in Everglades Agricultural Area farm canals. The hypothesis of the research is that FAV-free canals will be found to produce more cohesive, less reactive sediments due to increased light penetration resulting from the change in farm canal aquatic plant community.
- Synoptic sediment collection and analysis investigation of the primary canals in two of the Eastern sub basins.
The objective of this research is characterize the sediments in the Eastern EAA Sub-Basins at two major canals: the West Palm Beach and the Hillsborough Canals during the wet and dry season
- Water and Livelihood Initiative (WLI) in Middle East.
The goal of the WLI is to improve the livelihoods of rural households and communities in areas where water scarcity, land degradation, water quality deterioration, food security and health problems are prevalent in the seven participating countries (Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, Iraq and Yemen), focusing initially on specific benchmark sites. This project is directed by ICARDA (International Center for Research in the Dry Areas) and funded by USAID (US Agency for International Development). There are 7 participating US universities (U of Florida, U of California, Davis, U of California, Riverside, Texas A&M, Utah State U, and U of Illinois). In addition, there are several Middle Eastern Universities participating
For syllabus and registration information please visit: http://soils.ifas.ufl.edu/distance/
- SWS 3022: Introduction to Soils in the Environment – offered though Distance Education – Videoconference & Internet sections. Offered every spring semester.
- SWS 3022L- Introduction to Soils in the Environment Laboratory at Ft Lauderdale REC. Offered every spring semester.
- SWS 4116- Environmental Nutrient Management - offered though Distance Education – Videoconference & Internet sections. Offered even fall semester.
- SWS 5050- Soils for Environmental Professionals. Web class. Offered every spring semester.
- SWS 5115- Environmental Nutrient Management. Web class. Offered even fall semester
- SWS 5406- Soil and Water Chemistry. Web class. Offered odd fall semester
- Jaya Das, Samira H. Daroub, Jehangir H. Bhadha, Timothy A. Lang & Manohardeep Josan. 2012. Phosphorus Release and Equilibrium Dynamics of Canal Sediments within the Everglades Agricultural Area, Florida, Water, Air and Soil Pollution 223:2865–2879.
- Jaya Das, Samira H. Daroub, Jehangir H. Bhadha, Timothy A. Lang,Orlando Diaz & Willie Harris. 2012. Physicochemical assessment and phosphorus storage of canal sediments within the Everglades Agricultural Area, Florida. Journal of Soils and Sediments: Volume 12, Issue 6 (2012), Page 952-965.
- Bhadha, J.H., Daroub, S. H, Lang, T.A. 2012. Effect of kinetic control, soil:solution ratio, electrolyte cation, and others, on equilibrium phosphorus concentration. Geoderma 173-174: 209-214.
- Daroub, S.H., Van Horn, S., Lang, T.A. , and Diaz, O.A 2011. Best management practices and long-term water quality trends in the Everglades Agricultural Area. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology 41 (6):608-632.
- McGroary, P.C. , Cisar, J.L., Snyder, G.H., Erickson, J.E., Sartain, J.B and Daroub, S.H. 2011. Water use of St. Augustine grass and Bahiagrass under varying nitrogen rates. Agronomy Journal 103:100-106.
- Kwon, H.Y, Grunwald, S., Beck, H.W., Jung, Y., Daroub, S.H., Lang. T.A ., and Morgan, K.T. 2010. Modeling of phosphorus loads in sugarcane in a low-relief landscape Using ontology-based simulation. J. Environmental Quality: 39 (5): 1751-1761.
- L. Janardhanan and Daroub, S.H. 2010. Phosphorus sorption in organic soils in south Florida. Soil Science Society of America J. :74(5): 1597-1606.
- Lang, T.A. , Oladeji, O , Josan, M. and Daroub, S.H. 2010. Environmental and management factors that influence drainage water P loads from Everglades Agricultural Area farms of South Florida. Agriculture, Ecosystems, Environment 138:170-180.
- Martin, M. R. , Tipping, P.W., Reddy, K. R., Daroub, S.H. and Roberts, K. M. 2010. Interactions of biological and herbicidal management of Melaleuca quinquenervia with fire: Consequences for ecosystem services. Biological Control. 54:307-315
- Kwon, H., , Grunwald, S., Beck, H.W., Jung, Y., Daroub, S.H., Lang. T.A ., and Morgan, K.T. 2010. Ontology based simulation of water flow in organic soils applied to Florida sugarcane. Agricultural Water Management. 97:112-122.
- Daroub, S. H., Lang, T.A. , and Diaz, O.A. , and Grunwald, S. 2009. Long-term water quality trends after implementing best management practices in South Florida. J. Environmental Quality. 38:1683–1693.
- Grunwald, S., Daroub, S.H., Lang, T.A. , and Diaz, O.A. 2009. Tree-based modeling of complex interactions of phosphorus loadings and environmental factors”. Science of the Total Environment. 407:3772–3783.
- Arrieta, C. , Busey, P. and Daroub, S.H. 2009. Goosegrass and bermudagrass competition under compaction. Agronomy. J. 101:11-16.
- McGroary. P.C. , Daroub, S.H., Wright, A.L., Cisar, J.L., and Snyder, G.H. 2009. The effects of irrigation and nitrogen on St. Augustinegrass color, quality and growth. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal, 11:55-60.
- Roesch, L. F., Fulthorpe, R. R., Riva, A., Casella, G., Hadwin, A. K., Kent, A. D., Daroub, S. H., Camargo, F. A., Farmerie, W. G. & Triplett, E. W. 2007. Pyrosequencing enumerates and contrast soil microbial diversity. International Society of Microbial Ecology 1: 0283-0290.
- Diaz, O. A. Daroub, S. H., Stuck, J. D. , Clark, M., Lang, T. A ., and Reddy. K. R. 2006. Sediment inventory and phosphorus fractions for water conservation area canals in the Everglades. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 70:863-871.
- Kabengi, N. , Daroub, S. H., Rhue, R. D. 2006. Energetics of arsenate sorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides studied using flow adsorption calorimetry. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science.297:86-94.
- Kabengi, N. , Rhue, R. D and Daroub, S. H. 2006. Using flow calorimetry to determine the molar heats of cation and anion exchange and the point of zero net charge (PZNC) on amorphous aluminum hydroxides. Soil Science. 171:13-20.
- Chen, M. , Daroub, S. H., Lang, T. A., and Diaz, O. A. 2006. Specific conductance and ionic characteristics of farm canals in the Everglades Agricultural Area, Florida. Journal of Environmental Quality. 35:141-150.
- Chen M. , Daroub. S. H., and Nadal. V. 2006. Comparison of two digestion methods for determining total phosphorus in canal water. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 37:2351-2363.
- Park, D. M , Cisar, J.L., Snyder, G.H., Erickson, J.E., Daroub, S.H., and Williams, K.E. 2005. Comparison of actual and predicted water budgets from two contrasting residential landscapes in south Florida. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal, 10:885-890.
- Sutherland, A. and Daroub, S. H. 2004. The addition of clinptilolite zeolite to a simulated sandy medium to reduce nitrogen leaching. Soil and Crop Science Society of Florida Proceedings. 63: 88-91.
- Glaz B., Morris, D. R., and Daroub, S. H. 2004. Periodic flooding and water table effects on two sugarcane genotypes. Agronomy Journal.96:832-838.
- Glaz, B., Morris, D. R., and Daroub, S. H. 2004. Sugarcane photosynthesis, transpiration, and stomatal conductance due to flooding and water table. Crop Science 44:1633-1641.
- Morris, D. R., Glaz, B. and Daroub, S. H. 2004. Organic matter oxidation potential determination in a periodically flooded Histosol under sugarcane. Soil Science Society of America .J. 68:994-1001.
- Morris, D. R., Glaz, B. and Daroub, S. H. 2004. Organic soil oxidation potential due to periodic flood and drainage depth under sugarcane. Soil Science: 169: 600-608.
- Daroub, S. H., Gerakis, A., Ritchie, J. T., Friesen, D. K., and Ryan, J. 2003. Development of a soil-plant phosphorus simulation model for calcareous and weathered tropical soils.Agricultural Systems. 76:1157-1181.
- Rodrigues de Lima, L. , Daroub, S. H., Rice, R. W., and Snyder, G. H. 2003. Comparison of three soil tests for estimating plant-available silicon. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 34(15&16):2059-2071.
- Chen, M. , Gilbert, R. A., Daroub, S. H., and Glaz, B. 2003. Near infrared spectroscopy calibration of P concentrations in sugarcane leaves. Soil and Crop Sci. Society of Florida Proceedings. 62: 4 -8.
- Chen, M., Daroub, S. H., Ma, L. Q., Harris, W. G., and Cao, X. 2002. Characterization of lead in soils of a rifle/pistol shooting range in central Florida, USA. Soil and Sediment Contamination. 11:1–17.
- Chen, M., Glaz, B., Gilbert, R., Daroub, S. H., Barton, F. E. II, and Wan. Y. 2002. Near Infrared reflectance spectroscopy analysis of phosphorus in sugarcane leaves. Agronomy Journal 94:1324-1331.
- Daroub, S. H., Ellis, B. G., and Robertson, G. P. 2001. Effect of cropping and low-chemical input systems on soil phosphorus fractions. Soil Science. 166:281-291.
- Daroub, S. H., Pierce, F. J., Ellis, B. G. 2000. Phosphorus fractions and fate of phosphorus-33 in soils under plowing and no-tillage. Soil Science Society of America Journal 69:170–176.
- Ryan, J., Hamze, M., Harik, S. N., and Darub, S. 1988. Influence of urea phosphate on iron-inefficient soybeans. Journal of Fertilizer Issues. 5:56-60.
- Note: S. H. Daroub and S. Darub are the same author
- Ryan, J. Hamze, M., Darub, S. and Harik, S. N. 1986. Nutrient availability in an incubated urea phosphate-treated calcareous soils. Journal of Fertilizer Issues 3:146-150.